The McKittrick Hotel, home of Sleep No More, Gallow Green, Manderley Bar, and The Club Car is seeking a Technical Director. The Technical Director is responsible for preserving, maintaining, planning, and assisting in constructing all elements of the Production and Scenic design of all upcoming seasonal events and projects within the McKittrick Hotel to the quality of the design intention. You will be responsible for preserving the good condition of all production elements and ensure that they are safe and well functioning. The successful candidate will aid in facilitating all aspects of an array of upcoming seasonal events and projects from start to finish while remaining in compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
We are seeking someone who is a true self-starter, a multi-tasker, and someone able to prioritize responsibilities. Candidates will demonstrate attention to detail, creative problem-solving skills, possess and exhibit empathy, exude a good sense of humor, and a track record of on-their-feet problem solving. Candidates must be proactive and possess clear communication skills and the ability to be a team player.
- Lead and direct the technical design, drafting, engineering, building, and scheduling of technical elements for all programming for Fall Season
- Lead and direct the fall transition of summer Gallow Green into the fall/winter Hideout.
- Prepare build drawings for in-house scenic construction and/or bid packages for scenic shops
- Collaborate with scenic designers to facilitate design ideas
- Work closely with the Scenic & Props Supervisor to determine best build and construction practices and schedules and day to day department functionality
- Evaluate costs and feasibility of designs and provide approval for final specifications.
- Work with the Production Management Department to prepare cost estimates for all technical elements of programming for all spaces
- Maintain all technical drawings of spaces and equipment for venues
- Work with the Production Management Department on the identification and implementation of capital projects and purchases for venues and studios
- Perform regular rigging inspections and maintenance
- Work with the Director of Production and other production department heads to create innovative solutions to longevity and logistical challenges
- Act as a technical resource for all production department heads
- Aid the Scenery & Props Supervisor with additional tasks, as reasonably assigned
- Position requires some evening and weekend hours – particularly during September, Halloween, New Years, and rehearsals/techs/load-ins.
- 4 year degree in Technical Theatre or equivalent professional experience.
- Minimum 1 year experience as a Technical Director at a theatre, arts center, or equivalent organization.
- Expertise in AutoCAD or Vectorworks
- A broad skill base and knowledge in areas such as carpentry, welding, engineering and automation.
- Familiarity with theatrical rigging practices, chain motors, load tolerances and rigging safety procedures.
- Budget creation and management experience.
- Ability to manage crew in multiple spaces or locations.
- Exceptional people and time management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; Great attention to detail; Adaptable and calm under pressure; Proactive self starter.
- Ability to quickly solve problems that may arise unexpectedly to get work done efficiently and safely.
- Light lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling of supplies, etc., up to 50 lbs., as well as occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Drivers License and willingness to drive in New York City a plus.
- $1,600. Weekly | Expected 40 hours/week