The McKittrick Hotel, home of Sleep No More, Gallow Green, Manderley Bar, and The Club Car is seeking a full-time Carpenter. The Carpenter is responsible for preserving and maintaining all elements of the prop and scenic design of all venues within the McKittrick Hotel to the quality of the design intention. You will be responsible for preserving the good condition of all prop and scenery elements and ensure that they are safe and well functioning. The Carpenter should be independent, have an excellent attitude, and a passion for storytelling in immersive environments. The Carpenter will maintain a safe and functional workspace, and build or repair under the guidance of the Master Carpenter and Prop Manager while remaining in compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
We are seeking someone who is a true self-starter, a multi-tasker, and someone able to prioritize responsibilities. Candidates will demonstrate attention to detail, creative problem-solving skills, possess and exhibit empathy, exude a good sense of humor, and a track record of on-their-feet problem solving. Candidates must be proactive and possess clear communication skills and the ability to be a team player.
– As part of the joint prop and scenic department, the Carpenter will work closely with the Master Carpenter, Prop Manager, and Technical Director, as well as other production departments, including Stage Management, Lighting, Costumes, and Audio, to maintain existing prop and scenic elements of Sleep No More, The Club Car, and Gallow Green.
– Follow the guidance of the Master Carpenter, Technical Director, and Scenic & Props Supervisor in the maintenance of existing prop and scenic elements. They will maintain a safe working environment at all times, and will report any unsafe conditions or behavior to the Director of Production or Human Resources.
– Work with the Scenic & Props Supervisor, Technical Director, and the Master Carpenter to modify/design/innovate furniture piece solutions to increase stability and longevity in response to performance needs.
– The Carpenter may, on occasion, be shadowed by an apprentice and will answer questions about their work and process from said apprentice to the best of their ability.
– Assist the Master Carpenter with the tool maintenance, shop organization and inventory.
– Build custom furniture for in house productions as necessary utilizing both traditional furniture making techniques and modern scenic and prop carpentry technology.
– Be familiar with the run and action of Sleep No More, and make time to view the show as an audience member regularly.
– BFA in Technical Theatre or related field or equivalent experience.
– 1+ years of professional experience
– Ability to read technical drawings.
– Proficiency with common hand tools and power tools associated with theatrical builds and load-ins
– Ability to lift 50lbs
– Ability to work at heights
– Demonstrate strong collaborative, communication, and technical skills
– Demonstrate a willingness to maintain high standards for a quality, safe, and support work environment
– Demonstrate a strong sense of self-efficiency and organization
– Demonstrate strong problem solving skills and efficiency when working under pressure, time constraints, dim lighting, show volume, and in view of audience members.
*Can complete responsibilities and duties under the following conditions, when working in show conditions*
– Strobing lights
– Continuous, large quantities of haze
– Minimal to no lighting
– Spaces which contain large amounts of dust & uneven flooring
– Required half-masks worn by all employees during performance
– Numerous trips up and down six floors, unaided by the elevator
Non exempt, full-time
– Health Insurance
– Dental Insurance
– Vision Insurance
– Life Insurance
– Paid Time Off
The McKittrick Hotel is an equal opportunity employer. The McKittrick Hotel does not tolerate harassment and discrimination and will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Please submit a resume with the subject line “McKittrick Hotel Carpenter”. No phone calls or unsolicited emails, please. We do not work with recruiters or placement agencies. All interested applicants should apply directly through firstname.lastname@example.org.