The McKittrick Hotel, home of Sleep No More, Gallow Green, Manderley Bar, and The Club Car is seeking a Scenery & Props Supervisor. The Scenery & Props Supervisor is responsible for supervising the preservation and maintenance of all elements of the scenery and props design of all venues within the McKittrick Hotel to the quality of the design intention. You will be responsible for leading a team in preserving the good condition of all scenery and prop elements within Sleep No More and Restaurant spaces and ensuring that they are safe and well functioning. The Scenery & Props Supervisor is also responsible for project managing the production of any scenery and props for new or returning internal or private events, shows, or installations throughout the various venues within the McKittrick Hotel. The successful candidate will oversee the company’s prop and scenery operations, manage staff, maintain a functional and efficient scene shop and prop shop, all while remaining in compliance with local, state and federal regulations..
We are seeking someone who is a true self-starter, a multi-tasker, and someone able to prioritize responsibilities. Candidates will demonstrate attention to detail, creative problem-solving skills, possess and exhibit empathy, exude a good sense of humor, and a track record of on-their-feet problem solving. Candidates must be proactive and possess clear communication skills and the ability to be a team player.
The McKittrick Hotel is an equal opportunity employer. The McKittrick Hotel does not tolerate harassment and discrimination and will not discriminate and will take affirmative action measures against discrimination in employment, recruitment, advertisements for employment, compensation, termination, promotions, and other conditions of employment against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
– General upkeep and maintenance of the building’s design installations to ensure it meets health and safety standards as well as legal requirements, and to the quality of the intention of the design.
– Project manage, plan and coordinate all installations of scenery and props for internal and private events, as well as any building modifications where design is needed.
– Serve as the person of contact for Punchdrunk design advisors.
– Along with the Technical Director, Props Manager, and Master Carpenter, monitor resources and facilitate departmental purchasing and financial tracking.
– Along with the Technical Director, Props Manager, and Master Carpenter, maintain adequate parts inventory and order items as necessary.
– Along with the Props Manager and Master Carpenter, Maintain adequate inventory of stock props and scenery.
– Oversee and supervise all props and scenery staff and external scenery/props related contractors and overhire staff.
– Source and hire any necessary overhire staff or staff substitutes according to in house processes.
– Execute equipment audits and record-taking policies.
– Project manage the scenic/prop scope of all in house events and projects.
– Coordinate with the Director and Assistant Director of Production on the implementation of new building projects.
– Ensure compliance with all safety and security protocols.
– Inspect buildings’ scenic design elements for the need for repairs or renovations.
– Maintain Scenery Shop, Properties Shop, Props Kitchen, and Storage Spaces to ensure a safe, compliant working environment.
– Moderate control of all materials used in scenery and props construction and maintenance (including but not limited to flammable materials) in accordance with local and state regulations.
– Oversee the maintenance of Flame Retardancy Certifications for the building’s scenic and props elements in conjunction with the Facilities Manager and FOH Director.
– Keep financial and non-financial records.
– Perform departmental analysis and forecasting.
– Position requires some evening and weekend hours, particularly around Halloween and New Years. [General schedule Sunday – Thursday]
– 4 year degree in Technical Theatre, Theatre Design, or equivalent professional experience.
– Minimum 2 years experience as a Properties Supervisor, Scenery Supervisor, or in Production Management/Project Leadership at a theatre, arts center, or equivalent organization.
– A broad skill base and knowledge in areas such as scenic design, carpentry, crafting, scenic art, molding and casting, and upholstery.
– Good understanding of Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator.
– Familiarity with AutoCAD or Vectorworks.
– Proficient in all Google Suite applications.
– Budget creation and management experience.
– Ability to manage crew in multiple spaces or locations.
– Exceptional people and time management skills.
– Strong written and verbal communication skills; Great attention to detail; Adaptable and calm under pressure; Proactive self starter.
– Ability to quickly solve problems that may arise unexpectedly to get work done efficiently and safely.
– Light lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling of supplies, etc., up to 50 lbs., as well as occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
– Drivers License and willingness to drive in New York City a plus.